Taste of Main Street on Berwyn’s Cermak Road Offers Mix of Sweets & Savories
Pick up a pass to Berwyn’s Taste of Main Street on Cermak Road presented by Mayor Robert J. Lovero on Thurs, July 28 from 5PM—9PM. Join us for this annual tradition and enjoy an eclectic mix of small plates and sweets on Berwyn’s Main Street. Tickets are ONLY $15 and include food samples, entry into a drawing for an Apple iPad, trolley ride, and an after-party with live music from Caliente Old School starting at 9:00PM at Wagner’s Lounge (6840 W Cermak Rd).
Participating venues will be serving the following samples:
- Anthony’s Pizza Place will serve thin crust sausage and pepperoni pizza squares in a homemade sauce that’s layered with mozzarella cheese.
- Big Hurt Brewhouse will serve an assortment of BHB smoked wings in spicy buffalo and BBQ sauces and lollipop meatballs.
- La Lupita Restaurant will serve pozole blanco, an occasional dish popular in Mexico’s Guerrero state. This rich and hearty stew is filled with hominy and pork shoulder and garnished with shredded cabbage, onion, radish, avocado, oregano and pork rinds.
- La Michoacana Premium Berwyn will serve a single you-call-it scoop of ice cream that can be chosen from over 60 flavors. We recommend that you try the fresa de leche, selected as one of Berwyn’s Best Frozen Desserts, which is a simple combination of rich, creamy ice cream blended with fresh, ripe strawberries. Other popular favorites include cookies and cream, coconut, pistachio and cheesecake.
- La Quinta de los Reyes will serve guisado de puerco en salsa verde, a Mexican dish consisting of chunks of pork in a slow cooked green sauce of jalapenos, garlic, and tomatillos. Goes perfect on its own or as a filling for tacos.
- Masa Uno, Inc. Tortilleria will serve freshly-made corn chips with pico de gallo and guacamole and chicken taquitos, which are deep-fried using Masa Uno tortillas, filled with tender shredded chicken and topped with Mexican-style sour cream and queso fresco.
- Old Fashioned Candies will prepare sampler bags with an assortment of freshly-made milk chocolates including mini turtle pretzels, chocolate dipped Oreo cookies, chocolate bark, their famous chocolate-covered strawberry and a small bag of gourmet popcorn.
- Pulqueria Chicago will serve patatas bravas, a Spanish dish consisting of crispy, double-fried potatoes topped with a spicy tomato sauce, and tacos alambre, which are steak tacos wrapped in a corn tortilla and filled with diced green, yellow and red bell peppers, red onion and crispy bacon. Customers 21+ can sample homemade red or white sangria or pulque, which is a traditional cactus wine considered sacred since the Mesoamerican period.
- Vesecky’s Bakery will serve assorted pastries and kolacky, a Czech pastry filled with a generous dollop of cheese, apricot, prune, strawberry, pineapple or the traditional poppy seed filling.
- Waldo Cooney’s Pizza will serve thin crust sausage and pepperoni pizza squares filled with a zesty sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. This pizza was voted as one of Berwyn’s Best pizzas.
Drink specials and fun for the 21+ crowd:
- For Old Time’s Sake will feature $3 Miller Lites and $5 Jager Bombs.
- La Aduana Checkpoint Sport Bar will feature $3 Modelos and $5 Jager Bombs.
- Nine-30-ten Sports Lounge will feature $3 Summer Shandies and $5 Las Golosas, cucumber vodka drinks reminiscent of the chilled cucumber & lime snacks sold at corner fruit stands.
- Wagner’s Lounge will have live music from Caliente Old School starting at 9PM.
The event will tour Berwyn’s Cermak Road and takes place rain or shine! Register at http://bit.ly/TasteofMainStreet2016 and share the event on Facebook. Tickets purchased online can be picked up starting at 4:30PM at BMO Harris Bank (6655 W Cermak Rd).
Special thanks to our Presenting Sponsor Mayor Robert J. Lovero and our Program Sponsors World’s Largest Laundromat, BMO Harris Bank, Alderman Rafael Avila, North Berwyn Park District and Berwyn Park District.
This event is hosted by the Berwyn Development Corporation in partnership with Berwyn Main Street.